History of Saint Augustine Baptist Church
Brush Arbor (often dialectically called Brush Harbor). Brush Arbor was a temporary structure made of nothing but tree limbs bound together and covered with brushes and bushes. Sometimes, chicken wire was used to help hold the structure together. It was crude, but at last the people had a place of worship they could call their own.
I have met the Creator of the Universe, His name is Jesus Christ. And the Lord make you to increase and abound in love one toward another, and toward all men, even as we do toward you: 1 Thessalonians 3:12
Out of an era of turmoil, at a time when there was much disunity in the Nation, at a time when the question was whether this nation could survive half slave-half free, at a time when President Lincoln was struggling with the Emancipation Proclamation; Reverend Fred Eagle and a few faithful followers had a vision.
Through prayer and faith by our ancestors, it became apparent that this Nation could not survive half slave-half free.
The vision of Reverend Fred Eagle gave birth to the Saint Augustine Missionary Baptist Church in 1920.
Believing what Jesus said, "that where two or three are gathered together in my Name, there am I in the midst of them", these few gathered together and its first worship service was held under a "brush harbor." (Matthew 18)
Some of our earlier leaders were: Rev. Fred Eagle Brother Larry Thomas Rev. R. L. Young; Rev. W.L. Jackson; Rev. Joe Holmes; and Rev. Robert Taylor. The struggle for survival continued.
It was the vision of a group led by Reverend Fred Eagle to establish a place for worship and fellowship at 2901 Harp Street, Shreveport, LA 71103. From this vision, in 1920 built a Brush Harbor, which they called a church. Brother Larry Thomas named the church, Saint Augustine Baptist Church.
One day a storm blew the Brush Harbor down and they moved into a one-room shack across the street from their previous location at 2901 Harp Street. They later moved to where the church now stands at 2931 Murphy Street, Shreveport, LA 71103.
Sometime later, Reverend Eagle passed. In 1930, Reverend R. L. Young was called to pastor.
(a). Members added sheetrock and painted the church.
(b). The church progressed from torch lights to kerosene lamps.
In 1932, Reverend Ford Franklin was baptized at the age of 12 in May. In 1935, the church used real wine for communion. (The Lord’s Supper)
In 1939, Lot 10 of Block 1, Pine Grove Subdivision, was purchased for $250.00 in February.
In 1947, Lot 9, Block 1, Pine Grove Subdivision, was purchased for $311.00 in September. Construction for the church started and in May and July the church was moved for $500.00
In 1965, Reverend W. L. Jackson was called as pastor.
In 1972, the church records burned.
(a). Air conditioning was installed.
(b). Speakers were installed.
(c). Pews and organ were purchased.
In 1979, Reverend W. L. Jackson resigned as pastor on October 31...
In 1980, Reverend Joe Holmes was called to pastor in May.
In 1981, a. 30 choir robes and 12 hymn books was dedicated to the church.
In 1990, Reverend Edward Johnson became pastor. He was elected in May and served for a short time.
(a). A van was purchased for $14,000.00.
(b). Renovation of the church interior was done in 1995.
(c). A piano was purchased in 1996.
(d). Choir robes, a church sign, and set of drums were purchased in 1997.
In 1994, Reverend Robert Taylor was called to pastor in September.
(a). An alarm system was installed and burglar bars were purchased for security for $815.00.
(b). The church's interior was renovated for $450.00.
(c). One communion table lettering board 5'x45 3/8", oak finish and tow Myrtle wood offering plates was donated.
(d). The Taylor construction Company reframed the baptizing pool.
(e). The roof was repaired/redone at a cost of $660.00.
In 1997, Reverend Robert Taylor passed in June.
(a). 30 new choir robes were purchased for $3,935.41 in March.
(b). A church sign was purchased for $548.00.
(c). Carpet from GCO was installed at a cost of $762.32.
(d). 48x48 MDO sign with posts was purchased for $561.25 in June.
In 1997, Reverend Earnest Green was called to pastor in October.
- A water tank, church van, copy machine, computer, and P.A. system were purchased.
- In 1999, Plans for a proposed church in August.
c. A new van was purchased in 200.
d. A new set of drums was purchased in 2001.
e. A computer was donated.
f. Sister Hazel Giles was appointed as Mother of the church in 2001.
g. Siding was installed on the outside of church in 2001.
h. A new church sign was purchased in 2002.
In November of 2001, Reverend Earnest Green resigned.
In June of 2002, Reverend John E. Mitchell was called to pastor.
These ministries and or services have been enacted since his inception.
a. Holy Week Celebration was established as an annual event in 2003.
b. Palm Sunday march was established in 2003.
c. Reconstruction of Worship Services in 2003.
d. New Tithes and Offering envelopes, paper towel and soap dispensers were added.
e. Three new deacons were ordained in 2003.
f. First Miss Precious Jewel Pageant, in December 2003.
g. Deacon Tommy Lee Ashton confessed to preach on March 20, 2003.
h. Donation of Lot number 1, Block 1, Pine Grove Subdivision by Mrs. Juanita Thomas who resides in Walnut Creek California.
Many have been baptized, joined by letter and Christian experience, and some have rededicated their lives to Christ since the inception of the church.
In 2004, Repairs to the Men's Room. Purchased of van number 2. One (1) by letter, two (2) by Christian experience, and One (1) for water baptism.
In 2005, Purchased copy machine. Paid off loan.
First National Night Out. Community Clean Sweep.
Repaired air conditioning & heating unit. Four (4) members by restoration.
In 2006, Repaired plumbing. Replaced air ducts, and cycle control wire. Purchased Lot number 12 GEO Code: 174903-010-0012 from Mrs. Della Mae Ford Beasley on June 7, 2006. Four (4) members by restoration